The Names have been changed to Protect the Errorists

The Names have been changed to Protect the Errorists

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lessons from Mr B

How NOT to behave on a date.

I found this post on this local food critic's blog. She's not a "official" food critic, just someone who loves to sample delicious food. Her blog is a lovely read and a must see for people who want to get some insights on dining in Singapore. Check her out. DimSumDolly.

Anyway, her original post is about one of her recent blind dates (Read it here ) which spurred this list. She has some wonderful advice for men on dates.

I quote ad verbatim :

Lessons from Mr. B

1) Do not be late the first time you're meeting someone. A good first impression it does not make I'm afraid.

2) Do not talk only about work--it bores the hell outta people.
- But then again, in Mr. B's case, I suppose he didn't have anything else to talk about.

3) Do ask your date questions about herself.
- It's rude to talk only about yourself and not ask questions in return. This is NOT an interview thank you very much. You're not the interviewee and your date isn't the interviewer.

4) Do not keep shifting your eyes and looking at other people going in and out of the restaurant all of the time, just because you want to look out for people you might know and so you can "network".

5) Do not be so desperate to network such that when you think a lady sitting outside to be your company doctor, you go outside to say "hi" only to discover you've made a mistake.

- I nearly wanted to laugh in his face when I heard it. But mainly I was disgusted at his pathetic attempts to network. He was telling me earlier how important it is to just say "hi" to people even if it's just an acquaintance. Pls, give me a break. I would only say hi to a family doctor I've been seeing since a kid and not a doctor at a clinic whom I see once in a blue moon.

6) Again, do not be so desperate to network with other people in the restaurant when you're on a date. Identifying correctly the senior banker at your bank who comes 15min later after the booboo with the "doctor" doesn't make the first botched attempt less pathetic. So he goes up to say "hi" to the senior banker. From my observation through the glass window, the man had no clue who Mr. B was. I bet Mr. B must have name-dropped some other senior banker's name and so the man was seemingly cordial to his networking attempts.

7) Develop some balls.
- Don't tell me you really don't like drinking and smoking, but you do it only to fraternise with the traders and brokers you have to work with. But really, your cigarette is in your hand most of the time. Please, at least be daring and man enough to say "No" and stop being such a phony.

8) If you don't already have a life outside of work, please get yourself one NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment