The Names have been changed to Protect the Errorists

The Names have been changed to Protect the Errorists

Monday, February 21, 2005

Just Who is Kyle?

Great question.

The first time I met him was up Fort Canning. The moment I walked in, I saw this scruffy-looking, loud dude in a bumble bee shirt dominating the conversation in the lab. He just never stops, and after a while, I decided to take a breather, after all, sorting a zillion sherds and a non-stop talking guy don't really mix. I really wasn't impressed with what I saw, the first time I met him.

The second time I met him was at Joe's. That night, between a few beers and talking, he asked me for my name. "Mei Feng", I said. But guess what? The next time I went down to the site and saw him again, he very cheerily called out, "Hey Horfun!" (no, I wasn't doing a take-away of hor fun) That basically sealed my fate from then on-- I was "Horfun", doesn't matter what I was called before then.

So, what does one have to say about a guy who calls you "Horfun"? Lots, this dude is one of the coolest that I happen to know, that seriously, he's an institution himself. Do you know anyone who is the subject of a bet of when he'll lose his handphone next? I do. Do you know someone who can tell you that he saw two old ah-peks at the coffee shop starting a fight using Wong Fei Hong moves, only to degenerate to a cat fight most often used by girls? I do. And do you know a guy whose daughter uses a skull for her pillow? I do. In fact, a term has been coined to summarise this unique gentleman's brush with life-- "It could only happen to Kyle!"

Back to the issue of coffee, yes, he likes his coffee dark, except he forgets his coffee just as soon as well. I have lost count of the bags of coffee tied to the various nooks and cranies of his office which he has forgotten, and simply left to ferment for months on end. Oh, and did I mention that 2000 year old skeletons aren't simply found in his home, but in his office as well?

Much as he'll be missed, I do also believe that he'll be one happier dude in the friendly land of Cambodia. Except the next time the dude comes back, people, please remind him that John Miksic is NOT a supir. (driver in indonesian)


-HorFun

No comments:

Post a Comment